The trends of SEO in 2014
Since it’s creation in 1998, Google has been growing non-stop, and with ever year comes a whole new set of algorithms that improve your searches. But for those of you who need to navigate rough waters of search engine optimization, new methods of searching can leave your website or blog content adrift in a dark corner of the internet ocean. Make 2014 your year to be found! Here are some ways to stay on top of the SEO trends in the new year.
Truth and Personality will Keep You Afloat
Think that you can get your site to appear on the top three by flooding your website with searchable keywords? Think again. Google is getting better at weeding out sites that try to trick their way to the first page, and replacing them with reputable sties that will actually provide a solution to the searched query. How do you show that your website is providing help and is worthy of a place in Google’s search?
- Provide content that follows the three r’s: robust, reliable, real. Try to make your content different than the other things you see on the net, but keep it true to your company and helpful to the consumer.
- Constantly update with how your company is growing to show your business means… well, business.
- Get your social media in tune with your websites so your customers can be heard.
Speaking of that last point…
Social Media is Your Lifeline
What better way to get the word out onto the web than by joining the largest conversation in existence. Google is paying more and more attention to what people are talking about on Google+, Facebook, LinkedIn, Tumblr, Twitter, and every other social media site you can possibly think of. If you want your business to be an answer to a commonly searched query, you need to get other people to talk about it in association with your website. How can you make sure Google notices you trending on social media?
- Take your social media seriously. It’s not just a fad, it’s a new method of communication and advertisement. Use it to your advantage or be left in the dust.
- Engage your customers social media needs. Get involved in as many social media platforms as possible, and know the strengths and weaknesses of each different platform.
- Get your customers to talk about you. Offer special promotions to customers who like your page, retweet your company, or reblog your posts.
Think for Tomorrow!
Technology is changing faster and faster, and fortune favors those who keep up. Wearable technology is the next big trend, but what comes after that? Think about the long term path of technology. Think about where we were five years ago. Jobs like digital media specialist, ui/ux designer, and data scientist didn’t exist. The Android operating system, App stores, and the iPad were just starting to become prevalent. What will the next five years change in technology, and more importantly, how will you keep up with it?
- Stay up to date on the latest technical news. If you want to be on top of your SEO game, you need to be on top of technological advancements. These go hand in hand.
- Act in the now, plan for the later. Making your website and SEO planning work for now should be the focus, but you should figure out how the steps you’re taking now will play into the tech of the future.
- Embrace change. Those who refuse to adapt are stuck in the past. Simple enough?