SimpleLicense: Licensing Made Easy
We know that getting your head around complex licensing rights can be confusing. So we’ve put together the Creative Market SimpleLicense - written in plain english - to help you easily understand the license that comes with every product on Creative Market.
The SimpleLicense gives you the right to use any item purchased on Creative Market in a personal or commercial project for yourself or a client, but the item cannot be resold or redistributed on its own, or used in a product offered for sale where the item contributes to the core value of the product being sold.
Here’s what the SimpleLicense allows for each item on Creative Market:
- Personal or commercial use
- Fonts, Add-Ons (actions, brushes, etc), and other installable items may only be installed on a single computer, but can be used in multiple projects.
- All other items may only be used in a single commercial project.
- For yourself or on behalf of a client
- On its own, or as part of a new work
- When used as part of a new work, there’s no limit to the number of copies of the new work that can be distributed so long as the copies are not offered for sale
- Cannot be sublicensed, resold, shared, transferred, or otherwise redistributed on its own (even for free)
- Cannot be used in a product offered for sale where the item contributes to the core value of the product being sold. For example:
|You can…||You cannot…|
|Use a purchased icon set as functional icons in your app, such as button icons.||Use a purchased icon set as artwork that enhances actual gameplay in your app, such as the birds in Angry Birds.|
|Use a purchased theme for your own personal blog or a client website.||Offer a purchased theme to users of your hosting or blogging service (even for free).|
|Use a purchased font to create a logo for a client.||Distribute the purchased font with the logo.|
|Use a purchased logo in a website for yourself or a client.||Include the purchased logo with a website offered for sale or distributed for free.|
|Convert a purchased website template to an HTML website or theme for yourself or a client.||Convert a purchased website template to a theme to sell or distribute for free.|
Portions of some products may be covered by an open source software license such as the GPL (GNU General Public License). In these cases, any portions of the product not covered by an open source license will be covered by this license.
If you’re still unclear about what is or isn’t allowed under the SimpleLicense, please contact the Creative Market support team here.