Free Typography Basics Cheatsheet: Anatomy, Classification & Special Terms
What is the difference between an ascender and a shoulder? A tail and a loop? Kerning and tracking? Remembering every important typography term can be challenging, so we’ve summarized some essential principles in this 2-page PDF cheatsheet.
The PDF file includes the following sections:
- Letter Anatomy: Basic overview of the different components of a glyph
- Special Letters & Symbols: Learn to identify alternates, double story glyphs, alternates, and other special characters visually.
- Spacing: A quick visual recap of the difference between leading, tracking, and kerning.
- The Baseline: A diagram to help you differentiate between a glyph’s x-height, overhang, ascender height, and other sizing terms in relation to the baseline.
- Variants: Learn some of the many variants a typeface can include.
- Type Classification: Humanist, Old Style, or Egyptian? Identify historical type styles with this handy list.
As always, we hope this resource improves your workflow and simplifies the process of designing layouts with type. What’s your favorite typography term or tool? Let us know in the comments area below.
Products Seen In This Post: